Flat towing

snoranger

Forum staff
Forum Moderator
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Weighing in about 3600lbs, it seems like the Maverick or Bronco Sport would be a great little vehicle to pull around behind a motorhome. Since we’ve been discussing getting a motorhome and already own a Bronco Sport, I decided to look into flat towing one of these behind it. Here’s what I found:

Maverick Hybrid:
You CAN flat tow the hybrid FWD.
You have to start it and run it for about 1 minute before towing, and after ever six hours of towing. (I assume for lubrication.)
You have to put the trans into “Neutral Tow Mode”. (See owners manual)
Max speed 70MPH.

Maverick gas engine:
You CAN NOT flat tow either the FWD or AWD version.
The FWD version will need to be on at least a dolly trailer with the front wheels off the ground, or a flat deck with all 4 wheels off the ground.
The AWD version will need to be on a flat deck with all 4 wheels off the ground.

Bronco Sport:
NO…
Flat towing or dolly towing is not an option. Trailer tow only.

The BS owners manual states that the vehicle can be “emergency flat towed” as long as you keep it under 35MPH and 50 miles travelled.

I feel like Ford dropped the ball on this one. They make these little, light weight vehicles that would be great to pull around behind an RV, but only 1 variant has that capability.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
Also, the "Neutral Tow Mode" has to be installed, its not a factory thing, its a dealer add-on....same thing in my 08 Ford Explorer, you could get a neutral tow kit installed for it. This is why many people tow Jeeps behind their RV's the older ones at least were really easy to setup to tow behind your RV.

This is the result of all the nonsense electronic 4WD/AWD systems in today's vehicles, you can't just tow any of them behind an RV.

snoranger

Forum staff
Forum Moderator
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Also, the "Neutral Tow Mode" has to be installed, its not a factory thing, its a dealer add-on....same thing in my 08 Ford Explorer, you could get a neutral tow kit installed for it. This is why many people tow Jeeps behind their RV's the older ones at least were really easy to setup to tow behind your RV.

This is the result of all the nonsense electronic 4WD/AWD systems in today's vehicles, you can't just tow any of them behind an RV.
Let’s stick to Maverick facts, not assumptions or complaints about previous systems that were designed 20 years ago.
Neutral tow mode is not a dealer add-on or an option. It’s a factory feature that is available in the instrument cluster of any Maverick that can be flat towed.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
Let’s stick to Maverick facts, not assumptions or complaints about previous systems that were designed 20 years ago.
Neutral tow mode is not a dealer add-on or an option. It’s a factory feature that is available in the instrument cluster of any Maverick that can be flat towed.
Good to know Ford finally figured out that people would like to tow their vehicles behind an RV...only took them what 30+ years to figure that out. This is the reason so many people buy Jeeps, they're extremely easy to setup to tow behind an RV.

snoranger

Forum staff
Forum Moderator
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Good to know Ford finally figured out that people would like to tow their vehicles behind an RV...only took them what 30+ years to figure that out. This is the reason so many people buy Jeeps, they're extremely easy to setup to tow behind an RV.
All except, as I already said, between the Maverick and the BS there are probably 6-7 different powertrain combinations… only 1 of them can be flat towed. It should be all of them!!

wildbill23c

Reaction score
All except, as I already said, between the Maverick and the BS there are probably 6-7 different powertrain combinations… only 1 of them can be flat towed. It should be all of them!!
You can flat tow any of them....ONCE...LOL.

rubydist

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
???

The Bronco Sport has 2 powertrain combinations - the 1.5 EcoBoost and the 2.0 EcoBoost
The Maverick has 3 powertrain combinations - the 2.0 EcoBoost fwd, the 2.0 EcoBoost awd, and the hybrid.

I'm pretty sure 2 + 3 = 5 still even in todays world.

snoranger

Forum staff
Forum Moderator
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
???

The Bronco Sport has 2 powertrain combinations - the 1.5 EcoBoost and the 2.0 EcoBoost
The Maverick has 3 powertrain combinations - the 2.0 EcoBoost fwd, the 2.0 EcoBoost awd, and the hybrid.

I'm pretty sure 2 + 3 = 5 still even in todays world.
Weren’t there 2 different AWD systems on the BS? The lower models got one AWD system and the higher trim levels got the advanced 4wd with twin clutch rear diff.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
Weren’t there 2 different AWD systems on the BS? The lower models got one AWD system and the higher trim levels got the advanced 4wd with twin clutch rear diff.
Yes, they get a twin clutch rear diff in the "offroad" models. Same AWD system, just a limited slip rear diff that's computer controlled I believe.

rubydist

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
The Badlands BS with the 2.0 EcoBoost has a lockable rear diff, yes, but that is still only one drivetrain combination.

RonD

Reaction score
Was looking if you could flat tow EVs, most are a NO WAY!
Would be cool if it would charge the batteries ......................................then free wheel once at full charge
So no need to plug it in at destination

snoranger

Forum staff
Forum Moderator
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Was looking if you could flat tow EVs, most are a NO WAY!
Would be cool if it would charge the batteries ......................................then free wheel once at full charge
So no need to plug it in at destination
Some of these regen braking systems are pretty strong and would add a lot of resistance when towed. They would have to adjust the system for less strain on the tow vehicle and a longer, slower charge. It could be done.

Chapap

Military Veteran
Reaction score
Some of these regen braking systems are pretty strong and would add a lot of resistance when towed. They would have to adjust the system for less strain on the tow vehicle and a longer, slower charge. It could be done.
My dad has a 16 (I believe) prius. Regenerative braking is massively powerful. You can slow down for a red light from 45 to 20 and traffic behind you would just think you're lightly braking... annoyingly light maybe. It went out for a while and he said that the battery would never get to full charge in town if the A/C was running. It'd be neat if you could hook up the regenerative braking like a trailer brake tho

wildbill23c

Reaction score
My dad has a 16 (I believe) prius. Regenerative braking is massively powerful. You can slow down for a red light from 45 to 20 and traffic behind you would just think you're lightly braking... annoyingly light maybe. It went out for a while and he said that the battery would never get to full charge in town if the A/C was running. It'd be neat if you could hook up the regenerative braking like a trailer brake tho
Don't see why they couldn't somehow as the trailer brakes are electric anyways.

snoranger

Forum staff
Forum Moderator
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Don't see why they couldn't somehow as the trailer brakes are electric anyways.
They could do it easily, but then it becomes a liability when someone tries to sue for something stupid.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
They could do it easily, but then it becomes a liability when someone tries to sue for something stupid.
People do stupid shit anyways LOL. They just need to make people sign waivers before buying anything as a whole. You do something stupid its on you, can't sue the manufacturer LOL.

snoranger

Forum staff
Forum Moderator
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
In most states, waivers are more worthless than the sheet of paper they’re printed on.

Chapap

Military Veteran
Reaction score
There’d probably have to be an electric veh charging mode on the rv for it to work right. I don’t think it’d be any more vulnerable to idiots than the self driving features already available.

snoranger

Forum staff
Forum Moderator
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
There’d probably have to be an electric veh charging mode on the rv for it to work right. I don’t think it’d be any more vulnerable to idiots than the self driving features already available.
Never underestimate the depths of idiocracy.