Last Day at my Current Job.

PoBoi850

Reaction score
Today is the Last day of my current job as a Mail room Machine operator, technically a "Senior Clerk". I have worked in construction adjacent jobs for the past 20 years until 2018. That's when I went corporate and got a state job. I went from making decent pay/no benefits, working Mon-Fri, sometimes Saturdays, but not on Rainy days, to working for peanuts w/retirement, sick leave, personal leave, insurance, 8-4:30, Mon-Fri, no weekends.
Tomorrow I start a new job, still with the state, making more money than i have ever made since i left the Telephony Industry in late 2001. According to the guy I will be working with, I will have lots of "down time".. Good for me, bad for the TRS and Maverick Truckin forums. Anyways, just wanted to share this because good things don't always come my way and I feel like I have worked hard for a long time and now I will get a chance to not be worn out after work.

sgtsandman

Active Military
Reaction score
Good for you! I think I’m going to be staying where I’m at until I retire in 5-8 years. Unless some unexpected opportunity appears. Then I can become a hermit up in the hills of Appalachia.

PoBoi850

Reaction score
Well, orientation went as good as I thought it would. It took about 30 minutes to show me all the stuff I would be doing, then we talked about Mustangs all morning. The guy who is my new Boss, worked in my position for 18 years, built 20 cars and wrote 2 books on building "hot rods". He is easily in his late 60's and drives a Lime green 2020 Mustang "R-spec" with the stripes removed and is running for District 5 City Commissioner in the next election.
Then they sent me over here, to the warehouse, where I will be spending "most" of my time. creating pallets of boxes of paper and envelope. I get access to an electric forklift and will have to "learn" it in the near future. I have some forklift experience, but not electric.
Oh, yeah, I got my very first "cubicle". My old job just had a bunch of computers in large conference rooms with a "shared network", so anybody could log onto any computer at any time. Now I have my own little space with a desk and file cabinet, printer/scanner, phone, the works. 😎

snoranger

Forum staff
Forum Moderator
ASE Certified Tech
Reaction score
Getting a government job is the best thing I’ve ever done. A pension, sick/vacation/personal days, reasonable health insurance... it’s almost like they care about the employees.