Maverick Quirks

don4331

Reaction score
So, I was watching the TFL review of the Maverick:

The Hybrid powertrain doesn't have a reverse gear in the CVT?!
To go backwards, the electric motor spins you along; no ICE. And the horn softly beeps as it is very quiet otherwise without ICE running.​

The AWD powertrain with heavy duty trailer towing gets built in trailer brake controller (i.e. integrated like in F150 and SuperDuty trucks)?
Included in Maverick but not the Ranger, what gives Ford?? (Appeared to work pretty good on the TFL test).​

The 12V connectors in box were interesting: Nice to have power there, but there isn't real standardization on 12v connectors..

Uncle Gump

Reaction score
I'm not really a TFL fan... but I should have a peak at this review. Will be a hybrid in the driveway before long. I would rather have to 2.0L AWD version... but momma drives a lot. The economy of the hybrid will be nice.

sgtsandman

Active Military
Reaction score
I'm neutral on TFL. Their reports and tests do have some useful content but on the other hand, they have to play nice with all the manufacturers in order to keep getting vehicles to test and review. So, they don't provide a true report on the vehicles they look at. They can't. If they see that a vehicle is a P.O.S., they can't report on it without worrying about repercussions. Also, like a car magazine, they only report on the here and now. Real long term reviews and testing just aren't practical for what they do. So, while they aren't J.D. Powers in their ratings, they aren't what Consumer Reports used to be either.

Note, I said what Consumer Reports used to be. At one time, they really did provide unbiased testing and projected long term reliability. I had gotten burned in the past when I ignored their ratings and recommendations. Now, they are very much biased and their reviews and ratings can't be trusted. Plus, they were never really good with truck and SUV reviews. When you have nothing but people who live in big cities and their immediate suburban communities reviewing trucks and SUVs, you get skewed reviews and ratings as a result. Everything needs to drive, ride, and handle like a car or a mini van to them.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

Reaction score
Yes, no reverse gear in the CVT...the electric motor reverses direction to provide the ability to backup...which you are doing slowly anyways so no real issue there, not like you are flying down the highway in reverse. Just kind of weird to hear it put that way, but probably other vehicles do the same just isn't publicized. An electric DC motor can reverse polarity which gives you forward or reverse rotation depending on what you need it to do, so it makes sense for low speed maneuvers to use the electric motor for reverse....what happens when the battery dies though? Guess you are pushing LOL.

Yeah, that seems pretty weird that a car based crossover truck gets a built in brake controller, yet the Ranger that can tow almost twice what the max capacity is of the Maverick doesn't get a standard brake controller, seems a bit backwards to me especially when they could easily incorporate it...however, most vehicles built in recent years are already pre-wired all you gotta do is supply the controller and plug it in pretty much with a wire pigtail....But given the cost of the Maverick and Ranger, you'd think the Maverick would have the optional controller, but then again its a smaller more car-like vehicle so people buying it are probably not as accustomed to trailer brakes, controllers, etc...so maybe Ford figured the safest bet would be making it standard with the tow package...but then again many people buying tow vehicles today don't really know enough about towing to really be towing either...so who knows, would be nice if vehicles that are capable of towing came with the trailer brake controller period...vehicle prices are already way too high in the first place, what's another 200-300 bucks for a brake controller to come with the vehicle standard.