Our First Maverick Arrived!

rubydist

Forum Moderator
Reaction score

We got in our first Maverick - a sold unit ordered for a client. This is the first one I have seen in person and I'm impressed - it looks good, drives really well and has lots of power. I was really happy with the ride and drive. This is a awd 2.0 EcoBoost XLT. The orange on the interior is a little funky but a lot of people like that. I think we will sell them as fast as we can get them!

Attachments

Uncle Gump

Reaction score
Hopefully they can keep them rolling off the assembly line.

I believe they will sell a bunch of these... looking forward to seeing them running down the road.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
I've seen a couple of them out on the road already in the Boise Idaho area. Not sure if they're demos or if they're customer orders but none the less they're already out on the roads. They don't look too bad either, just wish they'd build something like that with a usable size truck bed. 6-1/2 to 7 foot would be ideal for most of us who use our compact pickups for work/DIY stuff.

rubydist

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
They have it designed so you can put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the bed. Its pretty clever how they did it. You can find photos if you search.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
They have it designed so you can put a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the bed. Its pretty clever how they did it. You can find photos if you search.
The photos on the Ford page make the wheel wells look like they are only about an inch or 2 into the bed, but the photos shown elsewhere tell a very different story, wheel wells are very intrusive to what is already a very tiny bed...I was hoping they truly were only a couple inches high....would have made it possible to actually fit a pallet back there, but I'm not sure you could with the wheel well intrusions like they are.....

Pretty interesting little pickup though for sure, but with the only engines being turbo charged the Honda Ridgeline might be what ends up in the driveway...not really 100% yet, still a year or 2 out on purchasing, which by then who knows Honda may go turbo by then too LOL.

rubydist

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
If you drive a Ridgeline and then drive a Maverick, you will buy a Maverick. The Ridgeline can barely get out of its own way.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
If you drive a Ridgeline and then drive a Maverick, you will buy a Maverick. The Ridgeline can barely get out of its own way.
Thanks, I was actually wondering about that...since the Maverick has the 2L Turbo I4 I was thinking the Maverick should be better for power, and just about the same for towing...I don't really see needing to tow that much behind a Maverick, I do have an 08 Explorer with higher towing capacity and my 88 F250 when I need to tow my tractor/implements anywhere. Actually an FX4 Maverick would suite me for most of my daily driver type needs.

sgtsandman

Active Military
Reaction score
Just remember that the Ridgeline is a modified Honda Odyssey with a bunch of reenforcement and weight added to it. The powertrain was never really designed for the vehicle. Just modified to make it work with the AWD and modified platform.

Honda likes to do that with their SUVs. It’s just what they do. It makes sense from a penny pincher’s point of view but doesn’t always pan out in the execution.

Yes, the same argument can be made for the Maverick but Ford does seem to have done better in the execution. Time will tell if appearances meet reality but it looks promising.

PoBoi850

Reaction score
I thought the Ridgeline was based off of the Pilot and the Odyssey was based off of the Accord. Of course thing could have changed by now and it really is a mute point I suppose. I know the 1st gen Odyssey was just an accord station wagon with taller pillars to give it more headroom.

EDIT: A quick google search says ALL 3 are from the same platform.

Last edited:

wildbill23c

Reaction score
Between the Ranger XL with the extended cab and 6 foot bed and 4WD, and the Maverick base model AWD. Kind of a difficult choice...the Ranger does offer a rear locker in all trim levels, but haven't had any need for one in any vehicle I've had...but I have a couple of trailers if I want to haul longer bulkier items than what would fit in the Maverick's bed....I don't really venture too far offroad, so the Maverick would most likely do what I'd want, but there are times where a quick trip to the box store without needing to drag a trailer along, the Ranger would be a better choice. The Ranger has a bit more towing capability, but I still don't think I'd want to try and pull my car trailer/tractor behind it, seems like the weight would really push the Ranger around...the Maverick isn't up to the task for towing the trailer alone would take up a bit more than 1/2 the capacity.

I guess more so it comes down to how short do you want your truck bed LOL. I was watching a video the other day on the Maverick. They took it up into some backroad testing stuff, I think it did pretty well considering its just AWD with open differentials...they did swap out the tires for some new BFG all terrain tires and it did even better...I was honestly surprised how the AWD system handled it. Maybe the Maverick would be enough, I just worry if we get another bad winter of a couple feet of snow, I don't think the Maverick would handle it, honestly don't think my 2008 Explorer would either, I'd have to go back to my 88 Bronco 2 LOL...but for the most part I think a Maverick might be in my somewhat distant future. I've seen a couple on the road now and they honestly don't look too bad for what they are. I'm sure with a different tire choice it'll do most of what many buyers would want them to do.

I think I'll stray away from the Ridgeline...I went and drove one yesterday, wasn't all that impressed....it handled fine but I don't think if I hooked up a trailer it would have the power to do it, I live down in a valley so any direction I go to get out there's quite a climb to do so, a loaded Ridgeline with a trailer in tow I think would be a constant struggle. My 2008 Explorer with the V8 handles the task fine, but at some point I'm going to have to look into something new(er) so maybe a Maverick as a daily and find a newer F150 or F250 to handle my hauling and towing needs when the time comes.

sgtsandman

Active Military
Reaction score
I thought the Ridgeline was based off of the Pilot and the Odyssey was based off of the Accord. Of course thing could have changed by now and it really is a mute point I suppose. I know the 1st gen Odyssey was just an accord station wagon with taller pillars to give it more headroom.

EDIT: A quick google search says ALL 3 are from the same platform.
The original Odyssey might have been based off the Accord. It was smaller and a four door compared to the larger vehicle with sliding second doors.

Now that you mention it on the Pilot, the Ridgeline probably does share a lot with it. The powertrain would certainly be the same or at least similar. I don't think the Odyssey was ever offered in AWD but I've been out the mini van market for a good while.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
The original Odyssey might have been based off the Accord. It was smaller and a four door compared to the larger vehicle with sliding second doors.

Now that you mention it on the Pilot, the Ridgeline probably does share a lot with it. The powertrain would certainly be the same or at least similar. I don't think the Odyssey was ever offered in AWD but I've been out the mini van market for a good while.
The Odyssey has never had an AWD option, which is weird, you'd think they would want to compete with the Toyota Sienna which has always had an AWD option and now is the only option. I think Ford offers AWD in some of their Transit vans as well.

After watching this backroads review of the Maverick I think the AWD system in the Maverick will do what most would ever consider doing with one of these anyways.

sgtsandman

Active Military
Reaction score
I’ve had other brands with AWD and with the right tires, you would be surprised where you can go with them.

You do have to be careful you don’t tweak the unibody but they can do quite a bit.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
I’ve had other brands with AWD and with the right tires, you would be surprised where you can go with them.

You do have to be careful you don’t tweak the unibody but they can do quite a bit.
From videos I've watched, it seems the biggest issue with the AWD systems is people just don't know how they work, so the wheels spin they let off the throttle so everything just stops, rather than keeping a steady application of throttle to let the system work, they let off instead.

rubydist

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
@wildbill23c, the new F-150 hybrid is amazing, if your budget can fit that. I have clients who tell me they are really getting 23 mpg and it will tow 11-12k depending on configuration. Its just that it costs about double a Maverick...

sgtsandman

Active Military
Reaction score
From videos I've watched, it seems the biggest issue with the AWD systems is people just don't know how they work, so the wheels spin they let off the throttle so everything just stops, rather than keeping a steady application of throttle to let the system work, they let off instead.
You are not wrong there. Understand the system and how it works.

There are also universal rules for driving off road that translates to all platforms.

If one doesn’t understand the above, they can get in trouble quick.

wildbill23c

Reaction score
@wildbill23c, the new F-150 hybrid is amazing, if your budget can fit that. I have clients who tell me they are really getting 23 mpg and it will tow 11-12k depending on configuration. Its just that it costs about double a Maverick...
Wouldn't buy new, as the truck would be sitting 99% of the time, would only be using it for towing stuff the Maverick or Ranger couldn't handle. Not sure how long I will keep the 08 Explorer around LOL.