Sung Kang Project Underdog 1972 Ford Maverick

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
Reaction score

Fast and Furious star Sung Kang is not only an actor, but a car enthusiast as well. the ‘Project Underdog’ 1972 Ford Maverick is a car that three teenagers from Alhambra High School in California built with the help of Sung Kang and Steve Strope from Pure Vision. Not only did these students have the opportunity to work on a cool car with a famous actor, they will also receive funds for college when the car goes for auction. Proceeds from the car’s sale will benefit the teens, as well as the general SEMA Memorial Scholarship Fund.

SEE MORE:

Sung Kang Project Underdog 1972 Ford Maverick - Maverick Truckin

Last edited:

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
Reaction score
Ya, when I search Ford Maverick I keep seeing pics of some cool cars. I'm 53, so I remember people hotrodding Mavericks in the 80's.

alwaysFlOoReD

Reaction score
I borrowed my dad's maverick in my late teens (late 70's) to go to the beach. Ten foot deep ditches on either side of the road. Someone cut me off, I hit the brakes HARD. The car rotated a perfect 90° to the right and I let off the brakes. The car darted straight over the driveway into a gas station! I couldnt have done it better if i was a professional stunt driver...but i wasn't. I think i threw out my underwear that day...lol.
Pretty sure the front end needed work.

PoBoi850

Reaction score
IIRC mine had four wheel drums, pretty sure at one point the fronts were capped and only ran the rear brakes. Also could have been a completely different car. we had a 69 Mercury Coupe, and an old Ford Granada late 70's all at the same time.

JAMMAN

Reaction score
I've owned 2 mavericks, one really bad one worse lol. 2 of my first cars. One I waited so long to change the oil that when I did I noticed a performance increase.

One the right front fender was held up with a rubber bungee cord.

RonD

Reaction score
I was in high school when my parents bought a new Maverick, 1971 I think
Only reason I remember it was because it was the FIRST car I drove that had ignition key on the steering column, so you know what else it had..........................locking steering wheel, and there by hangs a tale

Borrowed the car, had to be home by mid-night, it was well passed mid-night.......................
Our driveway was a bit uphill, so if you wanted to COAST in QUIETLY(not my first rodeo), you had to get a good run at it before turning off the engine..................................
Yes I did
And you know, when you are pulling on the steering wheel hard it will NOT unlock, well the key won't turn, until you let go of the steering wheel
Quite a bit of racket as I ran across the lawn, not good braking on a grass lawn, even uphill