Help for weak headlights on my XL

mark cannon

Reaction score
This is my first vehicle with LED headlights. The white light is weak IMO, and in our thick coastal fog I'm in trouble. I'm thinking of adding a yellow light bar or a pair of pods under the front bumper cover, utilizing the 4 hardware mounts. This shouldn't affect clearance due to the angle of the cover. I'm hoping someone out there is planning something similar or has already done this. I see on another forum someone cut out the tow hook cover area on theirs and installed some F150 fog assemblies but I'm trying to avoid that route.

rubydist

Forum Moderator
Reaction score
The white light is actually strong, but in the fog it just dazzles you from all the reflection. I think your idea for yellow fog lights of some type is a good one.

RonD

Reaction score
Yes, yellow light reflects less in white fog

And fog is usually a foot or two above the ground surface so the lower down the better to get light distance

I like using fog lights that are hinged, because of parking blocks, lol, yes, you WILL forget one time, that's all it takes, you can also fold them back for off-road

They need to be on their own switch because you do not want the white head lights on at the same time or it defeats the purpose of the yellow fog lights
You can use an added relay in engine bay hooked up to any Parking light 12volt wire, and then run ONE small ground wire into the cab for a switch
So relay is activated by cab ground, but ONLY if Park lights are on, so you can't leave them on accidentally, well unless you leave Park lights on, lol

Then a Fused 12volt wire from battery positive to relay and out of relay to new Fog lights

racsan70

Reaction score
I put a small light bar on my old ranger and its made a big difference on nighttime vision. I think its a 5 or 6 inch sylvania. Its on its own switch. I used it more when I worked 2nd and was on the way home at 2am.